Jamesb101.com

commentary on Politics and a little bit of everything else

The Alvin Greene Saga continues…..Update…..

House Majority Whip Rep. Clyburn has weighted in Alvin Greene’s win in his state’s Democratic Primary race..

Clyburn, the state’s highest elected black has called for a federal criminal investigation on how Greene financed his application fee to run in the primary race….

Meanwhile…..The calls continue for Green to drop out of the race for the US senate seat from South Carolina…..

First Jim DeMint beating up the GOP from the inside…..Then the Haley name calling…….Now THIS!?

What is going on down there?

House Majority Whip James Clyburn (D-S.C.) called for South Carolina to investigate the circumstances that led to Alvin Greene winning the Democratic Senate primary in his state earlier this week.

“There were some real shenanigans going on in the South Carolina primary,” Clyburn said during an appearance on the liberal Bill Press radio show. “I don’t know if he was a Republican plant; he was someone’s plant.”

The third-ranking House Democrat said he found it strange that Greene, a relative unknown prior to Tuesday, was able to produce the money to register and run for Senate despite being unemployed.

Greene allegedly tried to pay the registation fee in cash, and Clyburn said he wondered whether an outside party might have funded both the fee and Greene’s campaign, in violation of federal campaign finance laws.

Despite having no real campaign or prior political support in the state, Greene won the primary to face Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) this fall with nearly 59 percent of the vote — almost 100,000 votes.

The South Carolina Democratic Party called on Greene on Wednesday to drop out of the race after The Associated Press reported that the candidate is facing felony charges for having allegedly displayed pornographic images to a college student.

Adding to the pressure on Greene was Clyburn’s call for a probe to look at the possibility that an outside party might have funded Greene’s campaign beyond legally permissible limits, and without having disclosed the source of those payments. He also called on the U.S. attorney in the state to investigate Greene’s alleged felony.

More

Advertisements

June 10, 2010 Posted by | Blogs, Breaking News, Government, Law, Media, Men, PoliticalDog Calls, Politics, Polls, Projections, Updates | , , , , | 2 Comments

The private intelligence network in Afghanistain and Pakistan is still working……..

The New York Times has been heavy on the case of a US Government program that seems to have been set up by some ex-US government good guys, and a few questionable ones…..

If you read military action novels you are very familiar with the scenario where a President…feed up with the bureaucracy involved with the CIA, Military and other agencies…..turns to a few individuals to get the job done…To find out what’s going on without regard to career building, cover your butt, or what the chief executive wants to hear…..That apperas to have  turned into contract for Lockheed….

They in turn  put together a group of former CIA operators, who hired former US special operators (SEAL’s, Deltas and other CIA special operators and natives of the two countries)

This works since the US wants to say it doesn’t have ground troops operating in Pakistan …..

The operation in Afghanistan and Pakistan seems to have morphed into that same thing…..

The names mentioned in the piece are old CIA operators and high up US Military  who left the service to retire when new improved people were brought on board….

These old hands are now running a private service that is paid by the government in a contract to the Lockheed Corporation…..

And let me mention one thing very clearly ……

THE US MILITARY IS VERY HAPPY WITH THE SET-UP!

The New York Times seems a bit indignant  …

But the Generals that run the war are NOT…

The private contractor provides valuable intel…and the while the word has gone out that the operation will not be renewed…

The US military it appears…

DOES NOT WANT IT STOPPED……THEY WANT IT TO CONTINUE….

The whole op is not under investigation by the government but

, Michael D. Furlong ,  is…….And  if my  mind set  is  right….this was the guy who set up Vice President’s  Cheney’s separate intelligence network…….

The New York Times found that Mr. Furlong’s operatives were still providing information using the same intelligence gathering methods as before and because they are using ex-US military operators…..then natural evolution of the program has occurred and those operator ……who are supervised by military people who just a few years ago ran the Iraq war and still have friends in high places and are trusted…carry out ‘wet’ work if it comes their way….

The whole thing is…..

9/11 has changed things…..

This whole story by the New York Times misses a very basic point….

Remember when  General McChrsytal was faced with a choice of what strategy to use in the war last year?

President Obama, the Commander-in-Chief, went with door ‘B’…..the middle troop choice…The US will reach that strength level in Afghanistan by July….But few remember Vice President Biden’s  choice…..I do…..

‘Hunter…Killer Teams”….

That’s what the Lockheed group is doing….

So…..The Vice President got his choice also….Signed off on in 2009 by General Patreaus….

And the Commander – in Chief….

The Operation isn’t going away anytime soon….

No matter how much sunlight the New York Times* shines on it…..

Earlier this year, government officials admitted that the military had sent a group of former Central Intelligence Agency officers and retired Special Operations troops into the region to collect information — some of which was used to track and kill people suspected of being militants. Many portrayed it as a rogue operation that had been hastily shut down once an investigation began.

But interviews with more than a dozen current and former government officials and businessmen, and an examination of government documents, tell a different a story. Not only are the networks still operating, their detailed reports on subjects like the workings of the Taliban leadership in Pakistan and the movements of enemy fighters in southern Afghanistan are also submitted almost daily to top commanders and have become an important source of intelligence.

The American military is largely prohibited from operating inside Pakistan. And under Pentagon rules, the army is not allowed to hire contractors for spying.

Military officials said that when Gen. David H. Petraeus, the top commander in the region, signed off on the operation in January 2009, there were prohibitions against intelligence gathering, including hiring agents to provide information about enemy positions in Pakistan. The contractors were supposed to provide only broad information about the political and tribal dynamics in the region, and information that could be used for “force protection,” they said.

Some Pentagon officials said that over time the operation appeared to morph into traditional spying activities. And they pointed out that the supervisor who set up the contractor network, Michael D. Furlongwas now under investigation.

But a review of the program by The New York Times found that Mr. Furlong’s operatives were still providing information using the same intelligence gathering methods as before. The contractors were still being paid under a $22 million contract, the review shows, managed by Lockheed Martin and supervised by the Pentagon office in charge of special operations policy.

Geoff Morrell, the Pentagon press secretary, said that the program “remains under investigation by multiple offices within the Defense Department,” so it would be inappropriate to answer specific questions about who approved the operation or why it continues.

“I assure you we are committed to determining if any laws were broken or policies violated,” he said. Spokesmen for General Petraeus and Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal, the top American commander in Afghanistan, declined to comment. Mr. Furlong remains at his job, working as a senior civilian Air Force official.

A senior defense official said that the Pentagon decided just recently not to renew the contract, which expires at the end of May. While the Pentagon declined to discuss the program, it appears that commanders in the field are in no rush to shut it down because some of the information has been highly valuable, particularly in protecting troops against enemy attacks.

With the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the expanded role of contractors on the battlefield — from interrogating prisoners to hunting terrorism suspects — has raised questions about whether the United States has outsourced some of its most secretive and important operations to a private army many fear is largely unaccountable. The C.I.A. has relied extensively on contractors in recent years to carry out missions in war zones…….

………………………………

The exposure of the spying network also reveals tensions between the Pentagon and the C.I.A., which itself is running a covert war across the border in Pakistan. In December, a cable from the C.I.A.’s station chief in Kabul, Afghanistan, to the Pentagon argued that the military’s hiring of its own spies could have disastrous consequences, with various networks possibly colliding with one another.

The memo also said that Mr. Furlong had a history of delving into outlandish intelligence schemes, including an episode in 2008, when American officials expelled him from Prague for trying to clandestinely set up computer servers for propaganda operations. Some officials say they believe that the C.I.A. is trying to scuttle the operation to protect its own turf, and that the spy agency has been embarrassed because the contractors are outperforming C.I.A. operatives.……….

More…….

Note …….One could get the idea that this piece was written by someone who set out to ‘out the operation’  from a ‘turf’ war point of view……

The author has held back sensitive information he says about the operation…..

May 16, 2010 Posted by | Aircraft, Breaking News, Counterpoints, Government, Law, Media, Men, Military, PoliticalDog Calls, Politics, September 11, Updates | , , , , , , , , , , , | 5 Comments

The NYC Times Square Military recruiting office Update…………

…….. investigators were also “trying to identify the contents of a heavy steel case found locked in the vehicle,” The Post reported.

“The fireworks seem very screwy,” Charles Faddis, who headed the CIA Counterterrorism Center’s weapons of mass destruction unit when he retired in 2008, said by e-mail.

“The only rational reason to use a firework of some kind would be as a fuse. If you have a simple mechanical fuse, why do you have clocks? Either you are confused-inexperienced-crazy, or you are just messing with people for some reason,” Faddis added.

“Sounds like homegrown stuff to me …” said another senior former CIA official, who spoke only on condition of anonymity because he still consults with the government on sensitive cases, “but if it is [al-Qaeda] related, they have lost significant capability if this is what they are reduced to.”

Former White House terrorism advisor Richard A. Clarke said the incident “was similar to” the car bomb discovered outside the Tiger Tiger nightclub in London in 2007, which involved a Mercedes packed with gasoline.

Police found a cell phone in the car, and a second car bomb was discovered later before it exploded, leading to suspicions that they were the work of al-Qaeda operatives or sympathizers.

“But it’s very amateur,” Clarke said of the Times Square bomb. “It could be a lone wolf, it could be any or all of the above, including a lone-wolf Islamist. We have to remain open-minded about who it could be.”

New York authorities scheduled a press conference for 3 p.m. Sunday.

DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano said Sunday that her department is handling the incident as a potential terrorist attack but saw no larger plot at work.

“Right now, we have no evidence other than it is a one-off,” she said on ABC’s “This Week.”…..

More……..from the Washington Post….

“I think the intent was to cause a significant ball of fire,” said Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly.

“We are very, very lucky,” said a police source.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said the feds were taking it very seriously, treating it as “a potential terrorist attack.”

“Right now, we have no information other than it is a one-off,” she told ABC.
“Nonetheless, we are alerting state and local law enforcement – everybody – to be on their toes.”

Taliban official in Pakistan took credit in an audio tape posted to YouTube, but officials were hesitant to link the failed attack to international terrorist groups, calling it more likely a “one-off” or “lone wolf.”

Preliminary signs suggest “that this was not part of any plot by al Qaeda or another known terrorist organization,” said Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY).

He said the feds picked up no overseas “chatter” before Saturday night’s attempted attack.

CBS reported that Pakistani intelligence officials were discounting the Taliban claim, saying the group does not have the global reach of al Qaeda.

More……..From the New York Daily News…..

“We avoided what could have been a very deadly event,” said Mayor Michael Bloomberg early Sunday morning. “It certainly could have exploded and had a pretty big fire and a decent amount of explosive impact.”

Kelly also said that law enforcement officials are examining video that may have captured the image of a suspect in the attempted Times Square car bombing.

“We’re currently examining video that shows a white male in his 40s, in Schubert Alley, looking back in the direction of West 45th Street,” Kelly said. “He also was seen shedding a dark-colored shirt, revealing a red one underneath. He put the darker one into a bag that he was carrying.”

A federal official, briefed on the situation, told CNN that New York police were just beginning their investigation and cautioned against connecting any dots about who may have been involved.

But based on the preliminary investigation, the official downplayed the impact of the car bomb.

“If it was real, it didn’t work,” the official said.

More from CNN…….

May 2, 2010 Posted by | Automobiles, Blogs, Breaking News, Crime, Government, Health, Law, Media, Other Things, PoliticalDog Calls, Updates | , , , | 1 Comment

The House is currently only investigating black memebers…….

That is factually correct according to a story in Politico today….while there are several white memebers being looked at…there are currently seven black memebers, no white memebers, being actiely investigated…..

Charlie Rangel  (D-NY)

Jesse Jackson Jr (D-IL)

Carol Kilipatrick    (D-Mich)

Maxine Waters  (D-CA)

Laura Richardson  (D-CA)

Donald Payne   (D-NJ)

Donna Christensen   (D-VI)

It is interesting that in a body with over 400 members only black person sits on the committee that does the investigating……and to be fair there are again several white members being looked at…but it does strike one as odd that only its black members are getting the serious once overs….A Congressional Black Caucus member told Politico…….

“A lot of that has to do with outside watchdog groups like [Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington] that have to have a level of success to justify OCE,” the CBC member said. The good-government groups were strong backers of the OCE’s creation.

But these same groups won’t go after Rep. Jane Harman (D-Calif.), this lawmaker claimed, “Because she has plenty of money to defend herself,” and the outside groups don’t want to take a risk. The Democrat said the ethics committee would be going up against Harman’s lawyers and “going up against” the powerful American Israel Public Affairs Committee if they push the OCE to pressure the ethics committee to act…..

also……

“It is kind of crazy,” said an aide to one senior black Democrat. “How can it be that the ethics committee only investigates African-Americans? It doesn’t make sense.”

Something ain’t right here……..

 

November 3, 2009 Posted by | Government, Media, Politics | , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Afghan election a symptom of the countries problems?

A UN backed investigation into last August’s election in Afghanistan has found widespread voter fraud.…And is adjusting current Afghan President Harmid Karzai’s actual totals at about 48%…below the 50% threshold needed to win the election. There should now be a runoff  between Karzai and Abudulah Abudulah. Karzai Americans go to guy for a long while is now tarnished goods…….And the Presidents Chief of Staff Rahm Emmanuel went on TV yesterday to float the balloon that the administration will probably now have some time to wait on Gen. McChrystal’s troop request until things get straighten out on the election’s there…….

There is very good chance that Mr. Karzai would win if there was another election, if he agreed to have one……but the inquiry does point to the question of  fraud and stability in a country the United States is poised to spend a lot of money, and probably a decade of attention, to fight  the Taliban and al-Qeada…..

October 19, 2009 Posted by | Law, Military, Politics | , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Balloon caper is a hoax?…..the extreme's of reality TV…….

It seems that Richard Heene may have planned this caper all along, according to Larimer County sheriff  Jim Alderden……..The department has started an investigation and it appears that ‘Falcon’s” father  had been working on the whole thing for several weeks, so that he could  get a possible reality show for him and the family……if proven true,  I really think that the whole thing was terrible…….

It also gets us to the question…..How far will people go to get themselves on TV?

The terrible thing is subjecting law enforcement and emergency works to a totally false scenario…including the scrambling of military assets and the chase across the state by news helicopters. Which could have caused a serious problem if an accident, or injury occurred in trying to secure the safety of a child, that wasn’t even in danger…..

Things started off good for the couple…but once Wolf Blizer sensed a problem with the child’s answer to a question …things went south……unfortunately people will stage anything to get their ten minutes of fame, and that may turn out someday to be tragic……..

A whole lot of people got used here…….

October 18, 2009 Posted by | Breaking News, Crime, Entertainment, Updates | , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Balloon caper is a hoax?…..the extreme’s of reality TV…….

It seems that Richard Heene may have planned this caper all along, according to Larimer County sheriff  Jim Alderden……..The department has started an investigation and it appears that ‘Falcon’s” father  had been working on the whole thing for several weeks, so that he could  get a possible reality show for him and the family……if proven true,  I really think that the whole thing was terrible…….

It also gets us to the question…..How far will people go to get themselves on TV?

The terrible thing is subjecting law enforcement and emergency works to a totally false scenario…including the scrambling of military assets and the chase across the state by news helicopters. Which could have caused a serious problem if an accident, or injury occurred in trying to secure the safety of a child, that wasn’t even in danger…..

Things started off good for the couple…but once Wolf Blizer sensed a problem with the child’s answer to a question …things went south……unfortunately people will stage anything to get their ten minutes of fame, and that may turn out someday to be tragic……..

A whole lot of people got used here…….

October 18, 2009 Posted by | Breaking News, Crime, Entertainment, Updates | , , , , , , , | Leave a comment